Chemical vapors send Mainland Regional students to hospital - NBC40.net

Chemical vapors send Mainland Regional students to hospital

Posted: Updated:
LINWOOD -

Mainland Regional High School was evacuated Friday morning after chlorine chemical vapors leaked into parts of the school from the pool area according to school officials.

"We rushed out of school so fast. We really didn't know what was going on," student Collin Naumchik said.

Students describe their morning at Mainland Regional High School when the hallways and classrooms filled with noxious vapors.

"All of a sudden my eyes started to get watery and stuff," Student John Wallace said.

The incident was reported around 9:30 Friday and students were taken home by buses around 11 a.m.

Officials say chemical vapors from incorrectly mixed pool chemicals spread through parts of the building, making dozens sick.

According to Superintendent Thomas Baruffi, more than 30 students and teachers were taken to the hospital for different symptoms caused by the vapors.

"It created a reaction that caused what they are referring to as like a chlorine vapor and that's kind of what the smell was pretty strong and going through the hallways." Baruffi said.

The Atlantic County Health Department has deemed the building safe. Classes will resume  Monday but Friday's after-school activities will go on as planned.

Most Popular

Stories
Videos
loading...
Powered by WorldNow
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WMGM. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.