Two rescued, search continues for missing boater -

Coast Guard suspends search for missing boater in Delaware Bay

Posted: Updated:

The Coast Guard announced around 8:30 Thursday night that it has suspended the search for the one person who remains missing after a fishing boat sank in the Delaware Bay earlier Thursday morning.

"I just want him out of the water, that's all I want."

Kathy Catlett says all she can do right now is pray that her son, 23 year old Josh Catlett comes home alive.

All day the New Jersey State Police and the United States Coast Guard have been searching the waters for Catlett after the fishing boat he was on sank in the Delaware Bay.

"He's a charmer. He's a sweet boy. And I just want him out of the water that's all I want. I want him out of the water."

According to his mother, Catlett and two friends left home around 5:30 A.M. to go crabbing on a 40-foot fishing boat named the "Linda Claire"

Three hours later the Coast Guard says they received distress calls from a nearby boat saying that two good samaritans managed to pull 27-year-old Chris Serra and 25 year old Dave Wood out of the water after the "Linda Claire" capsized and sank.

"Two other vessels, good samaritans were on scene who quickly recovered the two individuals. We were notified and launched a small boat, a 25 foot small boat to assist and were able to coordinate the efforts and bring two of the survivors to the station," said Lt. Scott Farr of the United States Coast Guard.

Serra and Wood were then taken to Cape Regional Medical Center with symptoms of hypothermia and were questioned by State Police about what happened in the water.

As for Catlett's mother, she is staying hopeful that the three friends and her family will be reunited.

"They were best friends. That's why he went to work with him. To help him out. I'm hoping they find him alive, you never know."

David Wood's mother spoke on behalf of her son Thursday night, telling his story, and offering prayers for her son's best friend who is still missing.

"One boat had tried to come up and was throwing a life ring. Dave said he couldn't catch, then another boat came up and they got David and they managed to pull the captain in, out of the water. And like I said, they just haven't found Josh yet," said an emotional Kathryn Wood.

It is still unknown what caused the boat to capsize in the water.

Witnesses say they do not believe that any of the men on board were wearing life jackets.

Most Popular

Powered by WorldNow
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WMGM. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.