Fire extinguished inside Hamilton Mall store - NBC40.net

Fire extinguished inside Hamilton Mall store

Posted: Updated:
HAMILTON TWP. -

Multiple fire departments responded to a fire Thursday morning at the Hamilton Mall.

"Immediately I smelled strong smoke. Everyone was just wondering from where in the mall it came from," Mark Packer said.

Surveillance video shows the fire broke out inside the Hollister store around 6 a.m. Thursday.

While the fire was contained to just the one store, smoke could be seen billowing out into the main area of the malls concourse.

"The fire marshal determined that the fire was caused by a faulty light under the cabinet within the Hollister store," Greg Benedetti said.

Officials say once that fire started it spread to magazines and then to the desk around the cash registers.

"Fortunately the sprinkler system was set off by the smoke and the damage was just limited to water and a little smoke damage," Benedetti said.

 Fire fighters went to work with flashlights as smoke filled the air.

Officials say they were able to contain, and knock down the fire, but the mess traveled far beyond the first–floor store.

"They are cleaning up. There was water on the floor," an employee from a nearby store said.

 The fire broke out so early in the morning only a few employees were in the mall. Officials say luckily, nobody was hurt.

The mall opened at its normal time Thursday, but Hollister remains closed.

By about 11 a.m. Thursday, the outside of the Hollister store was cleaned up. Inside the store is a different story. Throughout the mall there is a strong stench of smoke. Officials say that should clear about within the next day or so.

Hollister will remain closed until further notice.

Most Popular

Stories
Videos
loading...
Powered by WorldNow
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WMGM. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.