A fire destroyed a home on the 100 block of Jefferson Avenue Wednesday night. Firefighters worked quickly to control the blaze, and neighbors were shocked by what they saw.
"As soon as I came out, first thing I saw was just smoke pouring out up into the sky."
A fire engulfed a two story home on the 100 block of North Jefferson Avenue just before 6:30 Wednesday evening. Police and firefighters arrived on the scene a short time later.
"The flames were huge – I really couldn't believe it," said Margate resident Kelsey Dickerson.
As the firefighters arrived, neighbors say the flames were inching closer to other houses on the block.
"It was so terrifying, it was so scary. We didn't know if it was going to start spreading because it was so close by, thankfully its not windy tonight, but we were so scared," said Margate resident Jessica Laird.
A captain with the Margate Fire Department says heat from the fire began to melt siding on neighboring homes, but that damage was minimal. Witnesses say they were frightened when power lines in front of the home suddenly caught fire.
"These power lines right here from the second floor, they caught on fire and started dropping to the floor and started popping. Like exploding," said Bruce Enright, also of Margate. "The whole house was just engulfed in flames and the electrical lines started coming down and bursting everywhere."
A captain with the Margate Fire Department said residents were home at the time of the fire, but after a thorough search, everyone has been accounted for, and no injuries were reported. The blaze was under control in about 20 minutes according to the fire department.
The fire is being investigated, we will have more information as soon as it becomes available.