Suspect dies in A.C. police involved shooting -

Suspect dies in A.C. police involved shooting

Posted: Updated:

Authorities say a police officer allegedly shot and killed a suspect who was believed to be armed.

The Atlantic County Prosecutor's Office is continuing to investigate exactly what led to the officer firing shots.

"He was just 18 years old. He had his whole life ahead of him," said the victim's grandmother through the help of a translator, the victim's uncle.

But that life was cut short for 18-year-old Derreck Mac, who family members say was the man shot and killed by an Atlantic City police officer on Monday afternoon.

"I'm telling you I saw Derreck on the ground fighting for his life," said Ecstasy Blackwell, Mac's Aunt.

Police responded to the Stanley Holmes Village Complex for a report of two armed men just before 2:00 PM.

On scene, police told the suspects to drop their weapons.

According to a release from the Atlantic County Prosecutor's Office, one of the men complied, but Mac allegedly did not, and fled the scene on foot to the 200 block of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard: where an officer allegedly fired shots, wounding the suspect.

Mac was later pronounced dead at Atlanticare Regional Medical Center.

"That cop killed that boy anyway you look at it, they killed that boy. If you put your hands up when they say freeze. They are not supposed to pull the trigger," said witness, Steve Johnson.

Family and friends gathered at the scene Monday night to light candles, and reflect on what happened.

They are angered by the shooting, and hope the matter is investigated fairly by authorities.

"When do we get our justice? You say these cops are here to protect and serve. When do we get protected?" said Blackwell.

Councilman Steven Moore made it a point to come out and support the family and says he is disappointed in this recent act of violence in the ward he represents.

While authorities continue to investigate, the Councilman says he will stand by the family as they grieve.

"No matter what happened the family is suffering. No matter what happens the residents right now are suffering," said Atlantic City Councilman, Steven Moore.

And they say they will continue to suffer until the truth about what happened on Monday finally comes to the surface.

Authorities say the 24-year-old suspect was arrested at the scene and faces multiple charges.

Police also tell us two officers were taken to Atlanticare following the shooting. One sustained non-life threatening injuries, while the second was evaluated for other reasons.

Powered by WorldNow
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WMGM. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.