Hammonton chimney fire prompts awareness for fireplace safety - NBC40.net

Hammonton chimney fire prompts awareness for fireplace safety

Posted: Updated:

HAMMONTON - A chimney fire Monday night has fire officials hoping that people will make sure that they burn their fires in an efficient and safe way.

Charles Dispoto and his wife Janice now see this charred debris where their chimney once was.

Monday night, after adding logs to his stove, the fire quickly went out of control, prompting a response from the Hammonton Fire Department.

Although the fire was put out, the Dispoto family is now displaced, while the costs and methods of repair are calculated. The whole situation highlights fireplace safety as winter rolls in.

We spoke with Donald Young of Clean Sweep Chimney Service, who suggests using wood that's been drying out for a year to even 18 months.

That way you can be sure it's dry enough to burn as hot as it can and not leave resins from the wood clogging your chimney.

Young also suggests investing in a chimney cap to keep out animals and prevent hot ashes from escaping.

Powered by WorldNow
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WMGM. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.