Authorities in Atlantic City responded to a gas leak early this morning and are warning residents returning to their homes to be cautious when turning on their heat.
Fire officials say it happened just after midnight, when a family returning home tried turning on their heat with their pilot light out.
With a flooded basement and a broken boiler, the house's gas levels immediately spiked.
Fire crews were able to shut off the gas and avoid a potentially disastrous situation.
Authorities say with power still out, gas boilers damaged, and basements still flooded, residents with electric pilot lights should not turn on their heat until power has been restored.